", It was easy to get this Clash 98 moving through the air on serves, which allowed our playtesters to crank up the pace and tap into generous amounts of spin. This racquet is as heavy as the Wilson Clash … The biggest hurdle I encountered with the frame was tempering its propensity to launch the ball. Head Gravity Tour Graphene 360+ Compare. The stringbed still felt a little 'springy,' which could make it difficult to hit drop volleys and short angles. Ultimately, most opinions on the Clash 98 will probably come down to its unique feel. ", Julie - "I definitely prefer the Wilson Clash 98 over the 100. Wilson … ", Our team had mixed feelings about the Clash 98's performance on returns. There are two frames in the initial launch: Clash 100 and Clash 100 Tour. ", Sean - "It's still not a racquet I feel confident enough with to make the switch. Visit Other Sports Warehouse Websites Tennis Warehouse Europe  •  Tennis Only (Australia)  •  Running Warehouse  •  Running Warehouse Europe  •  Running Warehouse Australia  •  Skate Warehouse  •  Tackle WarehouseInline Warehouse  •  Ice Warehouse  •  Derby Warehouse  •  Racquetball Warehouse  •  Riding Warehouse  •  Total Pickleball, We use cookies to make our website and your shopping experience effective, secure and user-friendly. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items! This racquet offers precision to all players with a flex like wooden racquets with the stability, feel and power of carbon fiber. I liked the response of the upper portion of the stringbed in the Clash 98 compared to the 100 and 100 Tour. She currently plays with the Wilson Pro Staff RF 97 Autograph. I strung up the Clash 98 with HEAD Hawk Touch (my review) and Kirschbaum Max Power (Amazon). I just felt like I was coming through too fast at times. On the other hand, I definitely had moments where I felt good at contact and my return landed near the back fence. ", Sean would've appreciated more control and precision on his returns. The 98 sq-in … Wilson Clash 98. He concluded, "I think the extra forgiveness of the 100 Tour made it easier to return with than this 98 version, albeit very slightly. in. And because of the flex and arm-friendliness of the Clash, it’s a good candidate for using a firm, control-oriented polyester strung at higher tensions. This week I got to hit the new Wilson Blade 98 16×19 V7 alongside the Clash 98 and really get a feel for the two different racquets. Shipped with USPS Priority Mail. The eight mains going through the throat made for a denser sweetspot, and I noticed it was easier to spot my volleys without fear of losing control. Condition is New. All Rights Reserved. For its weight, the Clash 98 felt fairly stable. I wasn't able to find the stability I needed to place the ball where I wanted, and I didn't have great control. The Clash 98 had a similar sensation at contact to the Clash 100 Tour: loads of pocketing, which made me really feel the ball in the stringbed and then feel like I could catapult it back out with loads of power and spin. The 98 sq-in head delivers laser-like precision for players … racquet, and that is what they have made. ", Sean - Although this Clash 98 has a unique feel, its playability is similar to the Prince Beast O3 98, the Prince Textreme Tour 100 (310) and the Babolat Pure Aero 2019.". Receive a $50 coupon code for au.wilson.com DEMO CLASH 98 NOW. All in all, I have to say the Clash 98 was a racquet I loved attacking the net with, and the volley became my favorite shot to hit with this racquet. Featuring the smallest head size of the revolutionary Clash family of racquets, the Clash 98 … Prince Phantom 100X (305g) Compare. Whether I aimed wide, into the body or to the T, I was able to reach my target without issue. Since the Wilson Clash … The Clash 98 was maneuverable enough and blocked balls back well. My slices were effective, but they didn't sit as low as I'd like them to, most likely because I'm used to stiffer frames and I simply couldn't seem to get used to the flex level of this racquet. It produced effortless pace, spin and depth from nothing more than a third-gear swing, and offered extra help on off-center contact. ", After an adjustment period, Michelle felt she could produce some heavy serves when aiming at bigger targets. Prince Phantom O3 100X. Still, there's a lot to appreciate with the design of the frame. From the back of the court, the Clash 98 quickly became the frontrunner in the Clash line for our team. Michelle: Open level baseline player with a semi-western forehand and a two handed backhand. Head Size:98 in² / 632.26 cm² Length:27in / 68.58cm Strung Weight:11.5oz / 326g Unstrung Weight: 10.95 oz/ 310g Balance:12.4in / 31.5cm / 9 pts HL Swingweight:326 String Pattern: 16 Mains / 19 Crosses The Wilson Clash 98 Tennis Racquet is a sublimely flexible racquet that still provides a powerful and controllable feel. Il test della Wiilson Clash 98, ultima nata nella famiglia Clash, destinata a chi desidera feeling e impatto morbido. Comes unstrung.. I also liked the feel of the Clash 98. ", The Clash 98 checked all the boxes for Chris on serves. If I strung the Clash 98 with a stiffer, deader poly in the high 50s I could rein some of the control in, but I felt like it tightened the stringbed too much and negated the flexible feel and technology that sets the Clash apart from other racquets on the market. ", Michelle - "The Clash 98 is more controlled than the Clash 100 Tour. With a more surgical head size and a slightly higher swingweight, the Clash 98 is the most control-oriented and stable frame in the series to date. Wilson introduces a new addition to the Clash family with the release of the Wilson Clash 98. It does offer more control than the other offerings in the line, but that trait could still use more refinement, especially for players who prefer to supply most of their own power. Featuring the smallest headsize of the groundbreaking Clash franchise, Clash 98 lies at the peak of confidence and control. The Clash Tour is my racquet of choice, so the Wilson Clash 98 … Nor did it play with the restraint generally associated with its dimensions. When it came to returning second serves, I was able to step up and find the control to place the ball where I wanted, or I could just stay aggressive and hit flat through the ball. I just didn't always feel like I knew where the ball would land once I released it. Using revolutionary Carbon Mapping, the frame construction is unified at … I don't always feel connected to the ball or my shots with this racquet. She said, "My main issue with the Clash 98 was up at net. Description. The combination of a highly flexible and comfortable frame that doesn’t compromise on power or stability has proven a welcome change for players seeking a respite from the shock of the stiffer models populating the marketplace. Wilson Clash 98 Specs Head Size: 98 in² / 632.26 cm² Length: 27in / 68.58cm Strung Weight: 11.5oz / 326g Unstrung Weight: 10.95 oz/ 310g Balance: 12.4in / 31.5cm / 9 pts HL … Even though the specs are different, from the baseline the Clash 98 reminded me of a cuddly Pure Drive with a bit better command. I prefer this version slightly over the Clash 100 Tour. However, I've always liked stiffer frames — I played with the Babolat Pure Drive during my college years, and I'm totally in love with the stiff and dampened feel of my current Prince O3 Beast 98 — so it would take me a while to come around to frames that flex like the Wilson Clash line. I had a lot of fun driving through shots with this racquet. Wilson is releasing a new racquet model/line called Clash in 2019 and they have leaked some prototypes to companies like Tennis Warehouse and Tennis Express. I demoed the frame with a loosely strung, softer poly which undoubtedly didn’t help rein in the power. I was able to control the depth of my shots better. It also proved remarkably stable when redirecting pace—I was particularly fond of shop-hopping deep shots from just inside the baseline with an abbreviated swing. Power. He said, "I immediately felt much more dialed in with this version of the Clash compared to the Clash 100 and 100 Tour I'd previously tried. Rather than a backboard response, the racquet is designed to slingshot the ball off the string bed. Fans will find it comfortable and quite attractive—its plushness at contact and forgiving nature is a rare combination—while those accustomed to a stiffer, crisper response may conclude it’s too drastic a departure. I usually like to stay close to the baseline, but I decided to back up a couple of steps and hit full swings back in the center of the court, as I felt a bit late on my returns. The most recent edition to the family is the Clash 98, designed for accomplished players who seek more control than the 100 models in the line. And Wilson Clash revolutionized the shortcomings. The stiffness level is still very low, and I definitely like the feel of stiffer racquets. The response felt more solid, and I was getting more into my serves. As someone who already flirts with the lines, this was frustrating. Specifications of the Clash 98 are very similar to that of the Clash … Wilson Clash 98. She is currently using the Prince O3 Beast 98. I had great access to spin, and I didn't have to work hard to achieve good depth. After a successful launch with the first two frames of the Clash family, Wilson decided to add to the line so more people can reap the benefits. Compare. The Clash 98 offers the same unique feel but provides a bit more stability. Comfort. Wilson Tennis www.wilson.com 800-272-6060 NOTE: Add 1 foot to each measurement in the LENGTH column when using Co-Poly, Polyester or Kevlar strings. I would have liked to see Wilson change the spec more and possibly add weight to the frame. The 98 sq-in head delivers laser-like precision for players who consistently hit the sweet spot, while the very head-light balance reduces swing weight and adds control through the swing. Dunlop SX 300. If I had different stroke mechanics I don't think I'd experience these big misses, but with my longer, fast-swinging returns, I just lost some control and targeting when I tried to be aggressive. But I sensed the frame did have the makings of decent touch—it would just take some time to develop it. Get the best deals for wilson clash 98 at eBay.com. But for those who do want more of a boost, and a frame that performs unlike any of its competitors, this Clash will not disappoint. Once dialed in, I could swing pretty big. It could definitely be a racquet for me to compete with. It felt like I was getting good dwell time with the ball on the strings, yet my shots seemed to fly out of the stringbed with lots of zip. It offers more stability and more free power, and it was still quite maneuverable, which made it easy to swing through the ball and hit big on my groundstrokes. Chris: 4.5 all-court player currently using the Tecnifibre TFlash 300 PS. I felt confident on both first and second serves. I liked the way the Clash 98 came through contact. It forces me to make adjustments to my game. With a Stiffness Index (SI) of 11.2 mm, Clash is the most flexible racket in tennis, measuring in at 115% more … The Clash 98 grew on me the more I returned with it, and I felt more and more dialed in as I got deeper into the playtest. There were moments of brilliance and moments of massive mistakes. The Clash 98 isn't going to feel radically different, but it's a good option for any player who may have found the Clash 100 Tour to be too lively and is still looking for that flexy, pocketing feel. Even though it's a 98, I wish Wilson would have made even more changes to it. … This might benefit volleys as well. Wilson Clash 98. The beam is a little chunky, but it’s offset by the head-light balance, resulting in reasonably good handling to provide assistance in difficult defensive situations. The added control still wasn't enough for me to feel totally confident swinging for the lines, and I noticed that the stringbed felt more dead around the perimeter, which sometimes made it difficult to predict where the ball was going. Reviewed It incorporates FreeFlex: a revolutionary technology that makes Clash the world`s first racquet … Wilson introduces a new addition to the Clash family with the release of the Wilson Clash 98. Wilson Clash 98. Wilson Clash 98 Racquet Review – Pros and cons. It was still kind of hit or miss on my big flat serves, but when I added a little shape to the serve it was easy to find the box. I found more control as well, especially on my slower strokes, which was my main difficulty with the Clash 100, and I was able to reach for my favorite short-angle cross courts without issue. Like the other racquets in the Clash family, this 98 model features a low stiffness rating for a comfortable feel with good pocketing. The soft, flexible feel led to great touch on volleys, and the added mass helped our team get the ball moving through the court on serves. Wilson Clash 98 $ 249.00. Tags: racquet. © 2020 Tennis Channel Network. ", Favoring the feel of stiffer racquets, Julie struggled a bit with the response and feel of the Clash 98 on volleys. ", Sean - "I enjoy the added control, while the plush feel and stability remain intact. She described, "Similar to my experience with the Clash 100 Tour, it took me some time to get dialed in with the Clash 98. She said, "The Clash 98 lacked a bit of stability on returns, and I wasn't very precise when returning big first serves. They wanted to create a frame in which the ball sunk into the string bed, and then could be catapulted back into the court with precision. The racquet felt fast through the arc of my swing and enabled me to inject pace and spin into my serves easily. It performed admirably during meat-and-potatoes rallying, but when I tried to up the ante on an opportunity ball with a more purposeful swing, the results weren’t predictable enough for my liking. The Clash 100 doesn't give me the ability to play my game, as I'm constantly taking big swings with it. However, I do think that upping the tension with a deader string could make a difference. She explained, "After having playtested the Clash 100 Tour, I was left craving a bit more control from the Clash racquets. The Wilson Clash 98 is for those of you who seek more control and the Wilson Clash 100 is the option that should hold the broadest appeal. by Jon Levey She elaborated, "This is where I really could appreciate the deep pocketing feel from this racquet. This is one of those racquets where I felt better with touch volleys than sticking aggressive volleys. Like the other racquets in the Clash family, this 98 … Review date: May 2019. Compare. I wasn't always sure what was going to happen to the ball after it left my string bed. | November 27, 2019. I even caught myself swinging at my volleys to try to make up for the missing responsiveness. Babolat Pure Strike 18x20 3rd Gen. Clash 98的三角区这里的处理是直接平滑过渡下来,突出来一段。具体这么做的含义,我个人猜测可能是为了让手感更加直接的传递,而不是选择Clash … Julie: An open level aggressive baseliner. From the baseline, our playtesters enjoyed generous access to spin and easy depth, and they could get the racquet head flying through the air for effortless power. Babolat Pure Strike 16x19 3rd Gen. She said, "My racquet speed is pretty high on my serves, and the Clash 98 allowed me to find plenty of power on my first serves and plenty of spin on my kick serves. While this 98-square-inch version did have more control for me than the 100 Tour, I had some similar issues, mainly that the racquet felt very 'all or nothing' for me. The Clash 98 will require players to have a longer and faster swing than someone who would use the lighter and larger head sized Clash racquets but will reward you with better control than the other models. I liked the way the Clash 98 offered 'tweener-like power with some control and feel that fans of player's racquets will have to tip their hat to. Compare. On the plus side, it had a solid feel at impact, blocking passing shots back to the baseline rather routinely. ", Though Michelle found some added control with this model, she struggled to get completely dialed in with the feel. The Clash 98 is the most control-oriented of the family, but that’s grading on a curve. You'll find more information on cookies at, Stay up to date on arrivals and special offers, Shop Early - Shipping Carrier Delays Expected, Click here to see all Tennis Warehouse reviews. Compare. Prince Phantom 100P. Introducing the Clash 98, a modern player's racquet with outstanding feel and surgical targeting on full cuts.With its ultra low flex point, the Clash 98 is one of the most arm-friendly racquets in its class. Wilson also developed the Clash with a unique frame geometry known as “Stable Smart” – designed through digital simulation, providing best-in-class stability and power, making the Clash one of the most flexible frames in tennis. I had to pick broad targets or slow down my swing if I wanted to find my marks with repeated consistency. wilson clash 98. I was often looking for even more control and feedback from the frame, but I could enjoy the plush feel. My topspin shots were aggressive, and I was also able to really drive my slice backhand offensively. Even though there was more control, the Clash 98 still had copious amounts of power and spin for a 98, and I would still put it in the 'tweener' category. Copyright © Tennis Warehouse. I can't afford to be so erratic on returns and was craving more control. The string and tension I prefer in my racquet of choice was not my favorite with the Clash 98. Wilson was going for a “wow” factor 98 sq. Actual sales may not have occurred at this price. I was reminded of similar rewards from heavy, classic player's racquets, yet the Clash 98 makes no sacrifices in the maneuverability department. The beam is a half millimeter thinner, but I was hoping it would have been more like 21 or 22 millimeters wide for a more responsive feel. Michelle described, "I was happy with the feel and touch at net, and I felt in command with my volleys for the most part. ", "From the first hit, it was immediately apparent to me that this was going to feel a lot like the Clash 100 Tour playtest I was on," said Sean. Sort of like labeling someone the most sensible skydiver. I felt like I could swing as hard as I wanted, but I wasn't completely connected to the ball or sure where it was going. Chris thought the racquet's blend of maneuverability, control and stability was great for returns. There are times I'm convinced the ball is landing out and it stays in; this doesn't really sound like a problem, but for me, it isn't ideal. Yonex EZONE 98 . I think someone with faster, more vertical strokes might find better control than someone like me with longer groundstrokes. Both have a 100 square-inch head, 16×19 string pattern and a constant 24.5 mm … For some tennis players, moving to a 100 square inch racquet is a bit too much. As I stated in other parts of the review, I found a much better fit from the Clash 98 than I did from the 100 and 100 Tour. The result was a lot of feel on touch shots and impressive power on punch volleys. Go To Website. Compare. Delivering the performance that confidence promises, Clash 98 creates a playing experience unlike any before. All Rights Reserved. He commented, "Getting pace and spin on my serves was easy with this racquet. The Wilson Clash 98 Tennis Racquet brings the game changing Clash feel to a heavier, tour inspired spec. ", Julie - "The lack of stability is the main issue for me with the Clash 98, especially up at net and returning first serves. ", Chris - "I like the blend of power, spin, control, stability and maneuverability. There was that same unique soft feel coupled with a crisp response. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Your California Privacy Rights | Accessibility*Price comparisons are based on the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price ("MSRP") or Original Selling Price. Driven by a proprietary carbon mapping construction, FreeFlex gives the frame additional bending angles, creating an incredibly flexible racquet that works effortlessly with the modern swing for enhanced ball pocketing and dwell time. All content copyright 2019 Tennis Warehouse. They are used to smaller head sizes, and the Clash 98 performs well by shedding just a couple square inches. If you stay on this website, you agree to the use of cookies. The Clash has made quite a splash for Wilson. So, while the measurements would indicate an unusually soft and potentially unstable frame—especially out of the strike zone—it doesn’t play like one. I had better control than I expected and found the power of the racquet surprisingly controllable. I play with the Clash Tour (check out my Clash 98 review) so the Clash 98 … He currently plays with the Prince Phantom Pro 93P (14x18). ", Sean found decent precision at net with the Clash 98. At 11.5 ounces strung, the Clash … Brand new never used Wilson Clash 98 with 4 1/4 grip! It has great pocketing and is fun to swing big with. I found a similar launch angle with good clearance over the net, but with the Clash 98 I was able to get the ball to drop nicely inside the baseline, whereas I tended to overhit more with the 100 and 100 Tour versions. She hits a western forehand and two-handed backhand. With a more surgical head size and a slightly higher swingweight, the Clash 98 is the most control-oriented and stable frame in the series to date. Chris uses a full-western forehand grip, has a fast swing style and hits a one-handed backhand. Some playtesters found they could return consistently while others lacked a bit of feel and stability. He explained, "The response of the Clash 98 felt well suited to my return game. When I was first given an introduction to Clash by Wilson, one of the images they used to describe its playability was a lacrosse stick. Sean: Open level counterpuncher with a semi-western forehand and a two-handed backhand. Chris found the Clash 98 to be his favorite Clash so far. ", Unlike Chris, Michelle had a tough time finding a good rhythm on her returns. He offered, "I enjoyed volleying slightly more with this version than the 100 Tour. When coupled with the success I had at net, it made this a fun racquet to use both on the singles and doubles court. I prefer to feel a bit more connected, like when I'm hitting with the RF97. Reviewed by Jon Levey | November 27, 2019. I could really wind up and swing big. Pros. Both my slice and topspin returns felt good. I was happy with the amount of kick and spin I could generate as well. And it certainly works to that end, although it’s not foremost on the racquet’s list of strengths. Overall the Wilson Clash 98 is a versatile, accessible frame for intermediate and advanced level players. If I didn’t temper my aggression or apply extra spin to stay inside the lines it was too much of a feast-or-famine proposition. All of our playtesters noted that this model provided great stability and control, along with easy access to spin and depth. It’s headlight balance and mid-320’s swingweight allow for easy spin and the Flex Feel in the throat give a comfortable ride throughout. Again, the racquet felt pretty solid and decently easy to maneuver. ", Sean added, "Although I was getting less free power and spin on my serve compared to the 100 Tour, I liked the trade-off for improved control and accuracy. This put me in a position where I was able to find my contact point, giving me the extra time I needed and keeping me more connected to the ball. ", The soft feel from the Clash 98 contributed to great touch at the net, though it hindered some testers when they wanted to get more aggressive. ", Michelle - "Compared to the 100 Tour, I would say the Clash 98 has a bit more control, and it puts more mass behind the ball. ", Chris - "I can't be quite as consistent or creative with this racquet as I can be with my Tecnifibre TFlash 300 PS, but it's not that far off. The launch angle of the Clash 98 is quite high, which is a feature I really appreciated on my second serve, as I like to push my opponent back with a kick serve. The maneuverability was similar to the 100 Tour since the head size was reduced but the swingweight was bumped up a few points. Overview. I’d love to see a future model with a bit tighter handling. Featuring the smallest headsize of the groundbreaking Clash franchise, Clash 98 lies at the peak of confidence and control. I had to make small adjustments to my game, and I mainly decided to stay back because I wasn't comfortable at the net unless it was for an easy volley to end the point. Compare. The draw of the Clash when compared to many of the power-brokers available is it brings all these assets to the court without being overly stiff. I was able to find great spin with my full-western forehand grip, while finding powerful shots on my backhand side when hitting flat through the ball. The most control-oriented of the Clash line, this racquet still delivers that soft, comfortable feel with plenty of power and spin on tap. All in all, players looking for that signature Clash feel in a more control-oriented package should give this 98 model a whirl! "The 98-square-inch head translated to slightly more control, and I noticed slightly less forgiveness from the stringbed; however, the soft pocketing sensation remained. The Clash 98 didn't feel as comfortable for me, but it still suited my game fairly well on the baseline. I wouldn't say I felt like I was super accurate, but I had success with bigger targets. If you found this review interesting or have further questions or comments please contact us. The Wilson Clash 98 is a great racquet built for playability and designed for the modern player. ", Chris added, "I loved the feel and control I had at net with the Clash 98. The FreeFlex technology allows it to bend at unique angles, and the result is a flexible frame that seems to know when it needs to stiffen up to provide more stability and power. When I went for flatter, higher paced deliveries I was able to generate plenty of speed. ", Chris - "The Clash 98 swung with a bit more heft and had a softer feel compared to my Tecnifibre TFlash 300. Swinging volleys were fun and effective, but there were times when I felt the racquet was too floppy for me when I was trying to stick deep first volleys. ", Julie also wanted more consistency when returning. Again, I had some issues with consistently here. ", Michelle - "I still want a bit more control from the Clash 98. I couldn't flirt with the lines and angles quite as much here, but I think that would continue to develop with more months of testing the Clash 98. The only issue was, while it did cradle the ball effectively, I struggled to control how it came off the strings on short angles and drop volleys. Go To Topic. Technical Sheet. The Wilson Clash 98 is a revolutionary new racquet from Wilson designed for ultimate control and confidence! I would say this 98-square-inch version helps answer that craving. However, the reliability in terms of distance and direction wasn’t a high enough standard. The Clash 98 is definitely better suited to my game than the 100 was. I thought there was a lack of responsiveness from the racquet, and I felt disconnected from the ball. Despite the impressive flexibility, stability and power are not compromised thanks to unique StableSmart frame geometry. Featuring the smallest headsize of the groundbreaking Clash franchise, Clash 98 lies at the peak of confidence and control. ", The Clash 98 worked with Julie's aggressive game style better than the Clash 100. Or stiff in slightest. She noted, "I was really excited to get on this playtest and compare the Clash 98 to the Wilson Clash 100. TRADITIONAL BENDING. Yonex VCORE PRO 97 (310) Compare. The Clash performed similarly with … This was most apparent for me on serve. ", Julie - "The Clash 98 is a racquet that suits my baseline game, from rolling spinny balls deep to hitting powerful flat shots down the line. I also have to mention the string. Which was a welcomed trait from the baseline, but caused some bouts springiness at net. Julie found she could mix up her serves with ease. However, both racquets allow me to attack the ball with depth and pace.

wilson clash 98

Kerala Famous Sweets, Nikon Coolpix B600 Release Date, Gastroenterology Nurse Practitioner Jobs, 7 Bleecker Street Jersey City, A Messenger Who Transports Goods Or Documents, Short Term Rentals Stafford, Bhavans College Cut Off 2019, Diy Led Grow Lights, Energy Class 7 Icse,